f

Friday, March 23, 2012

Fabulous Free Pattern Friday

The Draped Neck Top

An easy, sleeveless top with a soft neckline drape. All you will need to cut are 2 rectangles.
The back lays flat across the neck.
Begin with your hip measurement. Divide your hip measurement in half. Now measure across your shoulders. I wanted my top to be wider than my shoulders, so I added to my hip measurement so that I would have the amount that I wanted across my shoulders. Start with your hip measurement because you want to make sure that the top will fit over your hips. To round things off nicely, let's say that the measurement across your shoulders with 3" added on either side for the over hang at the arms comes to 20". Measure down from your shoulders  to find the length that you would like your top to be. Let's say that measurement is 25". We want to add to the length measurement another 3" for the facing for the neckline. Your length measurement will now be a total of 28". You will cut one rectangle 20" by 28". For the front, in order to have the drape at the neckline, you will want to cut the front approximately 4" wider than the front. So your front rectangle would measure 24" by 28".
Now determine how wide you would like your neckline to be. I determined that I would like my neckline opening to be 10".
Stitch across as you see in the above picture. Your seam allowance will be 3" wide which will become your neckline facing. You can see the facing in the picture below.
Try the top on and determine how deep you would like your armhole opening to be. 
From this point, stitch your side seams. Remember that we added to the front for the neckline drape so you will want to take this extra out at the hem and taper back up to your armhole area.
Roll hem the armhole openings. You can see in the picture below that your neckline facing will be sewn into the rolled edge of your armhole.
Finish the hem however you like. Before hemming the top, try it on. If the hip area is larger than you would like, take it in. To finish my hem, I added a band around the bottom.
This will make a great top for the summer. Although, I may not have to wait until summer to wear it with the unseasonably warm weather we have been having.
Good luck if you decide to give it a try. Email me if you have any questions.
Enjoy your Friday!



Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

4 comments:

  1. You read my mind. I was searching for a draped pattern for hours last night. And do you believe how cold it is here today? At least I'm freezing, but I'm in the North Burbs.
    Thanks so much for the pattern, I may do this tonight :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun top! I really like the fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just used this pattern to make a maxi dress. It went together so easily - I love the super easy neckline finish. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a really good idea! I'd like to try it out! :) Lisa

    ReplyDelete