f

Thursday, October 25, 2012

Tree Of Life Bag

I've made progress on my new bag and Jenny of Jenny's Jacket is knitting along and has also finished both of her side pieces for her bag.
I decided to use the Lamb's Pride bulky wool yarn for this bag. First of all because I had it and I really like navy blue.
I was told that the yarn I used for the last bag was a bulky yarn. As I said last week, I used 2 stands to knit the bag. For this bag, I am only using one strand. The bag is just a little bit smaller which is fine with me as I wanted to make one that was smaller.

You can see in the above picture that my side piece is about 1" shorter than the original bag that I knitted.
I think that the overall dimensions will be just what I'm looking for.
So let's move on to the body of the bag.

The Tree Of Life Pattern
(worked over 14 stitches)
Row 1: Right Side. Purl 6, Knit 2, Purl 6.
Row 2: Knit 5. CP2F. CP2B. Knit 5.
Row 3: Purl 4. K2F. Knit 2. K2B. Purl 4.
Row 4: Knit 3. (CP2F) twice. (CP2B) twice. Knit 3.
Row 5: Purl 2. (K2P) twice. Knit 2. (P2K) twice. Purl 2.
Row 6: Knit 1. SFPK. Knit 1. Purl 1. Knit 1. Purl 2. Knit 1. Purl 1. Knit 1. SBKP. Knit 1
Row 7: Purl 1. MB. Purl 2. Knit 1. Purl 1. Knit 2. Purl 1. Knit 1. Purl 2. MB. Purl 1.
Row 8: Knit 4. (Purl 1, Knit1, Purl 1) twice. Knit 4.
Row 9: Purl 4. MB. Purl 1. Knit 2. Purl 1. MB. Purl 4.
Row 10:Knit 6. Purl 2. Knit 6.

Cable Pattern A
(worked over 8 stitches)
Row 1: Knit 1, Purl 1, Knit 4, Purl 1, Knit 1
Row 2, 4, and 6: Knit all knit stitches and Purl all purl stitches
Row 3: Knit 1, Purl 1, C4F, Purl 1, Knit 1
Row 5: Knit 1, Purl 1, Knit 4, Purl 1, Knit 1
Row 6: Same as row 2.
These 6 rows make up Cable Pattern A

Cable Pattern B
(worked over 8 stitches) 
Row 1: (Right Side), Purl 2, C4F, Purl 2
Row 2 and all even rows: Knit all knit stitches and Purl all purl stitches
Row 3: Purl 2, Knit 4, Purl 2
Row 5: Purl 2, C4F, Purl 2
Row 7: Purl 1, T3B, T3F, Purl 1
Row 9, 11, and 13: Purl 1, Knit 2, Purl 2, Knit 2, Purl 1
Row 15: Purl 1, T3F, T3B, Purl 1
Row 16: Knit all knit stitches and Purl all purl stitches.
These 16 rows make up Cable Pattern B.

Abbreviations:
C4F: Slip 2 stitches on to cable needle and hold in front of work. Knit 2 stitches and then knit 2 stitches from cable needle.
T3F: Slip next 2 stitches to a cable needle and leave in front of work. Purl 1. Knit 2 stitches from cable needle.
T3B: Slip next stitch to a cable needle and hold in back of work. Knit 2. Purl stitch from cable needle.
Abbreviations for Tree of Life Pattern;
CP2F, slip next stitch on to cable needle and leave in front of work. Purl 1, then Purl 1 from cable needle.
CP2B, Slip next stitch on to cable needle and leave in back of work. Purl 1, then Purl 1 from cable
needle.
K2F, Knit 2nd stitch into front loop, then Knit 1st stitch. Slip both stitches off needle.
K2B, Knit 2nd stitch into back of loop, then Knit 1st stitch. Slip both stitches off needle.
K2P, Knit 2nd stitch into front loop, then Purl 1st stitch. Slip both stitches off needle.
P2K, Purl 2nd stitch into back of loop, then Knit 1st stitch. Slip both stitches off needle.
SFPK, Slip next stitch onto cable needle and leave in front of work. Purl 1, then Knit 1 from cable needle.
SBKP, Slip next stitch onto cable needle and leave at back of work. Knit 1, then Purl 1 from cable needle.
MB, Make Bobble. [(Knit 1, Purl 1) 3 times. Knit 1] all in next stitch. Slip 6th, then 5th, then 4th, then 3rd, then 2nd and finally 1st stitch over 7th stitch.

Begin by casting on 70 stitches on size 10 needles. Measure your side panels and divide this measurement in half. As an example, if your side panel measures 4", half will be 2". Knit 2" in stockinette stitch (knit one row and purl the next). This will form the base of your bag. (I originally worked the bottom of my bag in the pattern, but the bobbles on the bottom of the bag bother me. I think the bag will have a much cleaner feel if the bottom is knitted in stockinette stitch.)
Body of Bag:
Row 1: Knit 1, *Work first row of Cable Pattern A, work first row of Tree of Life pattern, work first row of Cable pattern A.* Work first row of Cable Pattern B. Repeat from * to * once more. Knit 1.
Row 2: Knit 1, *Work 2nd row of Cable Pattern A, Work 2nd row of Tree of Life Pattern, work 2nd row of Cable pattern A.* Work 2nd row of Cable pattern B. Repeat from *to* once more. Knit 1.
Continue working in pattern until 5 Tree Of Life Patterns have been worked. Bind off.
You will need 2 of these panels, 1 for the front and 1 for the back.

Good Luck!!
let me know if you have any questions and I will do my best to help.
Rhonda



Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

6 comments:

  1. What a cool bag! I'm curious about the opening. Does it zip open? And what gives it its structure?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it has a zipper. I did an inner lining of a fusible padding that works well in bags. I'll go over it more when I get to the lining. I also use chp board in the bottom of the bag.

      Delete
  2. Will get started on this part next Monday. I am in Baltimore sewing with Susan Khalje until Sunday. Brought my yarn and needles thinking I would start with you today, but am way too tired after a long drive to get here yesterday and a long day of pattern making with Kenneth King and Susan. But it looks like fun and I am anxious to get started. I love your blue yarn. Mine is red

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have about 1/2 a side panel completed. So am on my way. Having a lot of fun and loving watching it unfold. Thanks for the inspiration. I may have a Christmas present done also.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Jenny, I hope you saw the post with the correction, I hope, I hope. I left a twist out of the center cable.

    ReplyDelete