f

Friday, May 31, 2013

Fabulous Free Pattern Friday

This is a two-fer kind of a day since it's Friday and the last day of Me Made May 2013.
You may remember this skirt, kinda sorta! I did another version,
with 8 bandannas.
The skirt I am wearing uses only 4 napkins.
The principal is exactly the same as the skirt I did with 8 bandannas, but with only 4 napkins, it's a much straighter skirt.
My napkins were only 18" wide and I do not have 36" hips so I needed a little extra room and I also wanted the skirt to be a shorter version than the original one..
To add the extra room through the hips, I simply cut one border edge off of the napkin and sewed it to the side which gave the look of a panel down the side of the skirt. Once I had the main area of the skirt finished, I then added the other 2 napkins which I had cut in half diagonally, to the hem of the skirt. You can see the original post with more instructions here, http://rhondabuss.blogspot.com/2012/02/fabulous-free-pattern-friday-with-prize.html
I was especially lazy with the waistband of the skirt. I simply took a piece of elastic and zigzagged it to the area where I wanted my waistband to be.
No casing whatsoever. It gives a bit of a paper bag look to the waistband.
The formula for this skirt is simply, however many napkins or bandannas that you use for the top portion of the skirt, you will use the same amount for the hem. Just cut them diagonally. So if you use 3 bandannas for the top of the skirt, you will need 3 for the hem area. Once again, just cut them diagonally.
So, that's it for Me Made May. Boy oh boy did this month ever fly by. It seems like we just began. It's been fun though!



Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

6 comments:

  1. Or scarves... Did you just give me an excuse to buy a few gorgeous new scarves?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Scarves would be beautiful! They are softer than the napkins and will flow around the body.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute!!! I am going to see Willie Nelson this Friday and I thing this skirt would be perfect! Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The only thing you'd need to make this skirt shine is lots of scarves that go with your collection - or not and just throw caution to the wind.
    Nice idea Rhonda.

    ReplyDelete
  5. clever idea and quick too. thanks.

    ReplyDelete