Wednesday, April 16, 2014

The Wednesday Showcase

Good Morning Everyone! I hope this day finds you happy and well. I am so excited! I'm very fortunate to have a wonderful yoga studio in my neighborhood. Tonight they are offering a special class called Restorative Yoga, Silence and Stillness. It's a two hour class that is supposed to promote deep relaxation, sleep, improved digestion and overall health. Sounds wonderful and I can't wait!
Since today is Wednesday, you know that I have two very interesting ladies to introduce to you.
First up is http://mother-of-reinvention.blogspot.com/?m=0. I think you will find her to be extremely fascinating. Here's a little about her,
"I am a middle-aged scientist with a not very secret second life involving a lot of sewing. I have an obssession with corsetry, making corsets under the "Bad Kitty" banner, and like to turn vintage fabrics into useful things, or a mess, or both. Still, mess is good for the creative soul. I have a fabric stash that has grown too big for the house and a growing collection of "bargain" vintage sewing machines that one day I will get round to refurbing. When I am not sewing I like gardening, cooking and baking. I have a beautiful daughter who thinks I am embarrassing and a gypsy cat that belongs to someone else."
Wait until you see some of her incredible work!
Corsets that were made for Newcastle Fashion Week.
This piece was made for Miss Dolly Tartan who does burlesque. This piece was inspired of course by Marie Antoinette.   
 Above is a neck corset that will go with a normal corset. The lace is handpainted and embroidered with Swarovski crystals. If you would like to see more of her work, you can find the Bad Kitty website here,  http://www.badkittycorsets.com/. For those of you who enjoy making corsets and lingerie, stop by her website as you'll find loads of inspiration.
And finally the inventor herself! She loves to knit and she also enjoys vintage patterns and fabric. I think you'll really enjoy getting to know her.

For those of you who enjoy couture sewing, this blogger is going to be a treat to meet! Marina blogs at http://www.coutureschmiede.com/.  She says that,  she loves making and wearing couture clothes. "It is an art that allows me to express who I am. I started my blog because I wanted to reach out to like-minded people, sewers and designers who appreciate all things handmade."
Take a look at this incredible lace skirt.
 The hang, the fit, all perfect!

An incredible French jacket that she made in a class with Susan Khaljie.
Marina is also on Pattern Review. She won the Natural Fiber contest with this lovely linen dress. You can find her pattern reviews here, http://sewing.patternreview.com/members/MarinaVK
Hasn't this been an incredible Wednesday Showcase?!!!! I know that these two ladies have me all fired up to get in my studio and get busy!
Have a wonderful day!
Rhonda

12 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you featured Marina. I used to follow her at her old URL, and then all of a sudden she wasn't there any more and I didn't follow through to find her again. Her work is just incredible!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been trying to find her blog for ages! I knew she had one, but where? Finally, I found it and couldn't let it get away :)

      Delete
  2. Oooh such inspiring makers! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rhonda, thank you so much for featuring my blog in your showcase. I am incredibly humbled and flattered. I always love to see the people that you choose. Wow, is Marina talented. That skirt! Thanks again, Kelly. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I worked in theatre and whenever there was a period drama hitting the stage, Like Ibsen etc. me and a friend would secretly go into the ladies dressing rooms and try on the corsets. Say what you will, they are kind of comfortable, at least for the short time I wore them. Those are beautiful, though. Amazing work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her work truly is amazing. If you have a chance, go to her blog and look for the video of Miss Dolly Tartan. Just a warning, it is burlesque and not for young eyes, but you can see the corset at work.

      Delete
  5. Love your finds, dear Rhonda! I will visit these two talented ladies now add them to my blog, thanks for that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I benefit the most! After all, it's how I met you :)

      Delete
  6. Wow! Thanks, two blogs that fell under my radar.

    ReplyDelete