f

Sunday, July 20, 2014

Paletas, A Wonderful Summertime Treat

I can't believe it was 2 years ago that I shared this recipe for Strawberry Paletas. Paletas are Mexican Ice Pops. They are a wonderful summer treat. 
My nephew is always on the outlook for something fun and different to give me for Christmas. I have had so much fun with this book.
I absolutely love Hibiscus tea. You can find it in the tea section at your local supermarket, but it's also easy enough to make. I buy the dried flowers from a Mexican market. Soak them overnight and you'll have the most beautiful red liquid the next morning. You can serve it hot, or add ice and you'll have a very refreshing summertime drink. I like to add a little stevia and a slice of lemon.    
To make the tea, soak 1 cup of dried hibiscus flowers in 4 cups of water. As I said, simply let them soak overnight. Easy!  
Another lovely Paleta is made with the hibiscus liquid/tea,
Hibiscus-Raspberry Paletas 
Ingredients;
2 cups of Hibiscus tea
2/3 cup of sugar
4 cups of fresh or frozen raspberries

Mix 1/3 cup of sugar with the hibiscus tea.
Pour 1/3 cup of sugar over the raspberries and allow to sit for about 30 minutes or until the raspberries begin to express liquid.
Combine the hibiscus tea with the raspberries and their liquid. 
Pour into molds or container of choice. Add popsicle sticks once the mixture has begun to set a bit. Allow to freeze for approximately 4 hours before serving.
For a fun dessert, pour the liquid in champagne glasses. Unmold before serving, but place them back in the glasses to serve. The pops will drip, so be sure to serve with a plate. 
If you can find a market that sells dried hibiscus flowers, I highly recommend giving the tea a try. And if you like the tea, you'll love the paletas with raspberries!



Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

8 comments:

  1. Never had the tea or the frozen treat. Definitely will be looking for the dried hibiscus flowers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I buy them in Houston at an outdoor market. You should be able to find them at a market in the Dallas/FortWorth area.

      Delete
  2. In Mexican restaurants, this tea is called Jamaica. It's delicious. Thank you for sharing your recipe for the paletas. I've found two organic juices to make them with, but mine are smaller. Your idea of using flutes for them is brilliant! Have a great week Ronda!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am going to have to pay attention the next time I am in a Mexican restaurant as I have never seen the Jamaica tea offered. Thanks for the suggestion! I used hibiscus rather than Jamaica so people wouldn't get confused.
      Hope you have a wonderful week too!!!!

      Delete
  3. Hello, was so excited when I saw read this post. In Nigeria, the Hibiscus flower is called Zobo Leave, and the drink is called Zoborodo (Zobo for short), and it is popular in Northern Nigeria.

    The leaves is either soaked over night as you mentioned, or boiled to quickly extract its juice. Pineapple pilings can also be boiled together with the leave to give it that flavour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the wonderful information. I will try adding the pineapple. That sounds so good!

      Delete
    2. You may also what to put in some crushed ginger. Gives such a lovely sensation around the throat

      Delete
    3. The ginger sounds wonderful! I would not have thought about adding it.

      Delete